Have firefox? Subscribe!

Did you know that if you are using Firefox you can subscribe to this blog and have posts listed in a bar at the top of your browser? I think it works with other browsers too! Click here to subscribe.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Even more on binding.

We didn't have a lecture this morning, so I was able to get right to it with the binding first thing in the morning. The first order of business was to select the proper router bearings for the size of binding and purfling that I'm using and make some test cuts. After everything was set up for my purfling to fit correctly, I had to set up my guitar in the binding cradle and make sure that the top edge was even with the table to ensure accurate cuts.

One of the dilemmas that luthiers had previously come across when routing binding is that when you use a regular router with a bearing, the binding channels are not straight up and down due to the slight curvature in the top and back. To correct this, Tom Ribbecke, a well known guitar maker, designed the Universal binding machine. This device holds the router upright and the guitar is passed underneath it to get a straight binding channel route. Using this machine, the binding routing went smoothly, quickly, and easily. It was a lot less stressful than I thought it would be.

Here is what the binding machine looks like. I've decided that I must get one of these when I'm building on my own:

The only actually time consuming part in routing for the binding is that you have to readjust the cradle for routing the back and once the purfling channel is cut, the bearing needs to be changed and the depth adjusted, again making test cuts to ensure a good fit for the binding. After the routing was done, I marked out my end graft location and routed out a slot for that.

After routing the end graft, I took my bent pieces of binding out of the mold and discovered that the side purfling had come off of most of them. This was kind of a bummer, but doesn't really matter because the purfling pieces still bent the way I wanted them too and that is the important part. It was just a little difficult when installing the binding and purfling because they are all glued in together, so I had 3 pieces to contend with instead of 1 or 2 which most people had. Why does Cocobolo have to be so oily? After a session of chisel sharpening and a little trimming, I got the top binding and purfling completely in. It'll be on to the back binding/purfling and and graft installation tomorrow, which I'm a bit nervous about as I plan on mitering the purfling that runs up and down the end graft to meet the side purfling at about a 45 degree angle. If done right, it is going to look awesome!

Here is the binding clamped in place with one of the most high tech tools I used today, tape:
And the binding and purfling out of the mold and ready to be installed in the back:
I can't wait to take the tape off of the top tomorrow and see how it turned out!

No comments: