Have firefox? Subscribe!

Did you know that if you are using Firefox you can subscribe to this blog and have posts listed in a bar at the top of your browser? I think it works with other browsers too! Click here to subscribe.

Monday, February 11, 2008

A bit on binding.

Well, it didn't seem like I got as much done as I wanted to today, but what can I say it was a monday... We had a fairly long lecture today on binding, as binding is one of the things that really differentiates a fine guitar from a mediocre guitar. I'm not going to go into all the specifics of it right now, but needless to say there is a lot more to just routing the channel and gluing it in.

I did get my back glued on and flush routed today, as well as getting my binding prepared. The binding that I'm using is cocobolo with b/w/b side purfling and b/w/b top and back purfling as well. When doing side purfling, it needs to be glued to the binding, so it can be bent with the binding and because of the structure of it, the side purfling would not bend by itself. To attach the side purfling to the binding, the two pieces are wrapped together with thread, and then thin super glue is wicked into the joint between the two. Then, they are thickness sanded to a consistent thickness and ready to be bent. I had to do some cleanup work of the binding/purfling pieces before bending, so they did not get bent today, but will be first thing tomorrow. I will also start the neck construction tomorrow, and will probably post another update on wednesday. In the meantime, here are some photos for you all.

Gluing the back on using the same method used for the top:

Here is a shot of the box all together and ready for the binding routes:I'm really excited to see how this is going to look finished. You can't see the mottled flame in it all that well right now, but it will really pop on the back and sides with some finish.

Here is a shot of the binding pieces all ready to be bent:
Yes, there are 5 pieces there. I made one extra just in case there are any bending issues.

No comments: