Have firefox? Subscribe!

Did you know that if you are using Firefox you can subscribe to this blog and have posts listed in a bar at the top of your browser? I think it works with other browsers too! Click here to subscribe.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Electric ups and downs.

Well, electric construction had it's ups and downs today. I spent the first half of the day trying to join my top cap. This may seem to be a simple task, but today it was anything but. I made the mistake of resawing my cap wood last week after I had flattened it on the jointer so at the end of class last week it would have been good to be joined. Fast forward a week and the things I learned the first few weeks of class about wood movement came back to haunt me. It was now cupped quite severely and I didn't want to run it through the jointer again because it was too close to the finished thickness I wanted, which is crucial for me to be able to fit my preamp in the body. I decided to try to get this cupped piece of kindling joined by hand with a jointer plane and block plane, but it still was not going well at all. I decided to glue it and hope for the best. I took it out of the gluing deck after a few hours and I must say that it is the worst join I have ever done. I have fortunately seen worse, but when it comes to joinery I'm pretty picky. I think I will thickness sand it down and see where I stand. Maybe when it's sanded down, there will be one side of the joint that actually looks good that I will decide to use. If not, I can always inlay a strip of cocobolo with some purfling over the joint and solve the problem that way. It'll work out, but I'm just a bit irritated because I am a perfectionist and when things don't turn out as close to perfect as I like them, it really bugs me.

On a more positive note, I did get my electric body cut out, flush routed to the template, and 3 of the chambers routed. The purpose of these chambers is mainly to remove some weight from the body since the cap is going to be 1/2", but some people say that they affect the sound of the guitar. I think it will still sound like a regular solid body. Here is a photo:
That's the primavera. It's from Mexico and stinks like a barn. I just have one more chamber to route and some wire channel routes to do before it's ready for the top cap. It's exciting to finally be doing some woodworking in electric instead of drawing blueprints and making templates.

No comments: